Collections - Towns and Communities - Amesville
Town of Amesville History
Amesville did not exist as a town or a community.
A Brief History of the Amesville Cemetery
Location: On US 89, proceed 4.0 miles north from Etna or 4.8 miles south from Alpine. On the west side of the road can be seen a grove of trees with the Amesville Cemetery sign partially obscured. Travel west 4.4 miles. Just before coming to a right-turn road warning sign, a gravel road takes off to the right up over a small knoll upon which is located the cemetery.(GPS: 43.09100N 111.03172W)
How Obtained: Land was donated by Grandpa Clark Ezra Ames.
History: by Clara W. Robinson and Elma W. Corsi
This little cemetery sits on a knoll of a gently rolling hill on the southwest corner of what used to be the John Ames farm. This land was donated by Grandpa Clark Ezra Ames. The rest of the farm was later sold to the Etna Ward for a church farm.
Years ago, Elena Ames Wolfley, Louise Ames Brower and Alice Ames Ivie, Uneeta Ames and Emma Ames used to make paper flowers for weeks ahead for Memorial Day. There never was a grave left undecorated.
Every year we stood around the graves and wondered and planned what to do about the cemetery. This went on year after year until 1960 when work actually was begun and the dream was beginning to be a reality.
Work started in 1960 by many family members, along with other good people who helped to make the much needed improvements. A road was graded and graveled by the county and many other things done.
The Amesville and Etna Cemeteries have been combined in order to get water from the Church welfare farm. They use the same mower and caretaker for both.
There is a small acreage adjacent to the cemetery that can be farmed, which almost makes it self-supporting.
The first person buried here was Inez O. Ames. She died of the croup.
Father - Clark Ezra Ames
Mother - Annie Coburn
Born 1 November 1898
Died 7 November 1901
If you have any additional information pertaining to this webpage, please click here to Email us.